This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Who should enroll in this major?

The Conservation Biology Major is recommended for students seeking a liberal arts education in the intrinsic values of natural resources, biology, and ecology, and those preparing for graduate study in conservation biology, natural resources management, or related disciplines.

What can I do with a Conservation Biology major?

The Conservation Biology major provides broad foundational knowledge and skills for employment in a variety of public and private agencies, both domestic and international. Opportunities exist for conservation research and field positions, in non-profit positions, government agencies, and in environmental education, plus many more!

Check out the What Can I Do With A Conservation Biology Major? document to see what alumni are doing and the organizations for which they’ve worked. For a detailed look at jobs available in conservation biology, check out the Society for Conservation Biology Job Board.

Also See: Conservation Biology Jobs: Career Options and Education Info, the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupation Outlook Handbook.

How do I declare the Conservation Biology Major?

You will need to schedule an appointment with undergraduate student services coordinator to declare the major. Schedule an appointment with Student Services Coordinator, Ginny Jackson via Starfish.

If I take a course at another UW-Institution how will it transfer?

Check the Transferology website.  If you can’t find the course in Transferology, you can submit a request to the Course Equivalency Service.

Can I declare Honors in the Major for the Conservation Biology Major?

Yes. Please speak with Ginny Jackson, the student services coordinator for the major, to discuss honors in the major and how to declare.  You can reach Ms. Jackson at vjackson4@wisc.edu or by scheduling an appointment on Starfish.

Who is my advisor?

Your advisor(s) are listed on the homepage of your Student Center and on your DARS report. If your listed advisor is incorrect or if you would like to change advisors, please contact the Conservation Biology student services coordinator.

What courses should I take if I am considering graduate work in a biological discipline?

While the answer will vary depending on the graduate program, you should consider taking Biology/Botany/Zoology 151-152: Introductory Biology, Botany/F&W Ecol/Zoology 460: General Ecology, and Anthro/Botany/Zoology 410: Evolutionary Biology. You should also consider Chem 103-104 or 109: General Chemistry, general physics, mathematics (through 211 or 221, and/or a statistics course such as Stats 301, 371, or 571), and Botany/Genetics/Zoology 466: General Genetics. Students are also advised to check with specific programs they are interested in for prerequisites.

Which classes count toward the 15 credit rule?

Courses within the major numbered 300 or above count toward the 15 credit rule.

Can I take a course for Pass/Fail?

Yes, you may; however, it will not count towards your Breadth or Major requirements.