Bascom Hall atop Bascom Hill is pictured in a fisheye-lens aerial view of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus during an autumn sunset on Oct. 5, 2011. Other majority campus facilities include, clockwise from lower left, South Hall, Birge Hall, Van Vleck Hall, the Medical Sciences Center, Ingraham Hall, Van Hise Hall and Observatory Drive. In the background at upper right is Lake Mendota and Picnic Point. The photograph was made from a helicopter looking west. (Photo by Jeff Miller/UW-Madison)

Declaration and Classes

To declare, make an appointment with Academic Advising Manager, Ginny Jackson on Starfish.

If students are not currently in the College of Letters & Science (L&S), you must transfer into L&S before declaring. However, students are welcome to meet with the Conservation Biology Academic Advisor to discuss the major before transferring or declaring.

Conservation Biology Majors must take at least 50 credits in the major. Students must complete all core requirements (I), 12 credits of Field/Species Biology (II), and an elective Social Science course plus additional elective coursework (III) to complete the required 50 credits.  In addition, students must also satisfy all University requirements and the L&S B.A. or B.S. requirements.

Because the Conservation Biology major has many elective courses, and career and professional goals vary widely among students, pursuing advice is important. For this reason, students are encouraged to meet with the Conservation Biology Academic Advisor regularly to discuss their academic plans.  In addition, students considering graduate study must choose courses that will provide a strong foundation. Such students should seek out advanced courses in their chosen field if possible as well as a research experience.